U-joint replacement

Trying to replace the u-joint on my front driver side. Finally got the clips off but I’m having trouble getting the old one off. Tried utube videos, they seem to come right out on the videos. I’m hoping Arthur doesn’t give up and leave it in the driveway in pieces. If anybody can give me any ideas that might help, I’d really appreciate it. Anybody want to stop by to offer a hand…I’ll get pizza and beer.

Once clips are removed start beating with a hammer. Seriously.

Yup. Hold the shaft up in the air in one hand and smash the ear around the unjoint with a 2.5lb hammer till it knocks loose. The vibrations from the hammer hits will vibrate the caps loose. Do worry, You wouldnt break the ear. I have seen more shafts get ruined by the use of a press then I have seen anyone break the ear off a drive shaft by hitting it with a hammer.

Thanks. We finally got the clips off. Pounded the shit out of it. Damn thing is like cement. A friend said he’ll get it off for me tomorrow. I hope he’s right!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

heat

Ahhhhh… Yep. What I don’t have. Guess I need to get some!

I had good luck with an air chisel when they wouldnt come out.

Arthur took it to work. Half the shop couldn’t get it off. They got it with a setaline torch

Eric stopped by and gave us some much needed enlightenment. Tomorrow we pull the passenger side axle and open the diff. It’s a long process when Arthur works 6 days. Then we’ll change the seals and put it back together. Hopefully we’re done before it snows!! [emoji38]