my name is Jeff and I am a Jeep Addict. Its been 1 day...

my name is Jeff and I am a Jeep Addict. Its been 1 day since I bought another Jeep…

I’m now can scratch my Jeep itch without adding more scratches to my DD. Not sure how many of you are on Jeeps of MA but there was a crazy good deal on a Rubicon there yesterday and I am the proud new owner of a 03 Rubicon. Basically bone stock aside from the rust, I will be transferring my old 35s under the Jeep and eventually most likely putting my old 97 TJ body on top of this one to take advantage of the cage and pre-drilled holes for the Poison Spyder armor, sliders bumper etc… Goal is to stay LCG on this one and hope to do 35s with no lift and whatever trimming I might need to… likely will eventually sell the Rubi axles under it and put my old long arms and axles under this one as well… :sunglasses:
A bunch of rust under the drivers seat and the torque box on that side is bad too but over all it seems fairly solid. Picking it up and dragging it home soon.

Congrats, Jeff!
Much better situation when you have a dedicated wheeling rig.

Nice Jeff, congrats on a fine purchase. Those axles should get you a few bucks but it might be worth keeping a matching set of 44’s. What was under the old jeep?

Good luck Jeff. I know how much pain it’s been with the 97. Hope everything goes smooth with this one.

thanks guys!

this is how the 97 feels to me at this point… :horse: :laughing:

trussed, locked, skidded built 03 Rubicon 44’s with an ARB in the back, 4.88 motive gears, tabs for coil-overs in the back and all the factory mounts cut off of them for the Rock Krawler long arms I was running… :blush: A little to built to sell them easily as they had RCV shafts until 2 weeks ago when I sold them… :imp: FMH never thought Id buy another TJ but the price was too good to pass on… :sunglasses: I had a ton of money into the dumb thing… :frowning:

My 2012 JKU hasn’t been completely stock in a while as I got new Duratrac tires about 50K miles or 2 years back. They served me very well in the snow and on the street and were significantly better than street tires. they worked well on the trail but it was a low rider for sure. Last may before Rausch I added a bunch of RockHard4x4 skids under the tub covering the engine and T case. I also remounted my old “Body Armor” rock sliders/steps that I took off of my 07 JKU before trading it in. The build worked surprisingly well at Rausch but was supposed to be a one off minimal use wheeler as it was my DD. I got lots of pin striping and a decent dent/scratch on the passenger door that trip. It handled a number of black, blue and greens nicely. The Jeep had a nice stable stance and I liked the LCG in it compared to my slinky like TJ.

Over the summer I had the misfortune of buying a RockHard front bumper which allowed me to mount a winch and take the low rider on more difficult trails and go deeper into the black trails… well because those are the trails that matter to me and are where I find my zen. :sunglasses: :like: It was all down hill from there… :wink:

A few weeks after Fall Crawl I sold off my RCV Shafts and then almost immediately fell into a deal on 03 Rubicon having just bought a set of D60 axles for my 71 Jeepster. :open_mouth: Ok the sale of those shafts funded that purchase of the D60s. :unamused: The 03 Rubicon has some rust issues with the body mounts and despite some amazing efforts between Kurt and myself doing a marathon refresh of plugs, belts, fluids and more followed by a second session with Ish,

Sadly I ran out of steam and the TJ wasn’t quite ready when Crawling For A Cure rolled around on the calendar. I’m still pissed at the Dip Chit that tore my TJ apart and left it in little pieces… being exhausted after the event I still wasnt able to get the body mounts resolved. So when the ENH Fall Crawl came around the JK got dusted off for yet another trip. With no lift I was able to go places a stock Rubicon got stuck.

The JKU now with a Winch was also tapped to head to Stumpridge where my lowrider was stumped and I broke my winch and badly damaged my bumper.

Sadly I ran out of steam and the TJ wasn’t quite ready when Crawling For A Cure rolled around on the calendar. I’m still pissed at the Dip Chit that tore my TJ apart and left it in little pieces… being exhausted after the event I still wasnt able to get the body mounts resolved. So when the ENH Fall Crawl came around the JK got dusted off for yet another trip. With no lift I was able to go places a stock Rubicon got stuck. I also went up a number of ledges and small rock gardens better than I could have imagined… Then I was able to drive it home with all my gear and plenty of room to spare.

It was time for a change… :sunglasses: :ugeek:

I spoke in vague terms to my incredible wife of wanting to put a small lift and bigger tires on it. :wink: 2.5" BDS or Terra Flex maybe… and the 35" MTR/K off the TJ perhaps… So around the BSJ fall meeting I sent out a few messages and posted up about an improptu wrench fest. a few nearby members of BSJ once again were free and it was on! A quick run out to Offroad Elements after the meeting had a lift kit in my trunk and a chance coversation with a friend from Crawling For A Cure Offroad lead to spacers to run my old 35s… We’re getting the old band back together… We’re on a mission from God… : :sunglasses:

So in a very full day last weekend Kurt Klop and my frined Dan and I spent some quality time under the JKU putting in a Tera Flex 2.5" lift kit, replaced the springs and shocks with TF stuff, relocated the rear track bar, replaced the rear diff cover with a HD one off one of my other axles, changed the oil and replaced a very stuck rotor and worn brake pads. Kurt also employed a trick with a bottle jack and chain to fix the front bumper. :sunglasses: We mounted the replacement winch and found the bolts were a bit too short… Got it in “good enough for now” and called it a day… We started around 10am and didn’t finish until 730PM. We cleaned up my neighbors shop, rolled his boat back into the bay with the lift and Dan went one way, Kurt went the other and I drove up the road a mile or less and had massive death wobble. :blush:
Starting height…

In all the time RockHard has sold this bumper which is thick steel they have never seen this kind of failure (result of Stumpridege stuck…)

After

Exhausted but not beaten, I brought the Jeep over my neighbors shop. Sure enough the upper and lower Ball joints were basically bad after 95K miles on them and the TRE were shot. A quick message to The Kurt and a call to Elais and we had a plan. New Synergy Ball joints on both sides and a Synergy Tie Rod.

So today I brought it to Sullivan Tire in Nashua and got it properly aligned by Jim thier master alignment guy. It took him an hour or so to get it dialed in to where he wanted the Tie rod but the Jeep now handles like a dream. I’ve heard people say their Jeep handles better after a lift than it does factory and I am now a believer. The JKU rubicon shocks had plenty of life in them still but the stock springs gave a harsh ride. The Jeep rides like its on a cushion now… Still have to figure out the proper tire pressure on the MTR as the jeep seems a tiny bit off. I have them at 30PSI but will drop them to 25 or so tomorrow. :music-rockout:

Now I’m ready for a return trip to Rausch this Friday to see what this mofo can do! :smiley:

Hey kids I’m baaaaaaaccccckkkkkk and nearly Jeepless aside for my 70 Jeepster

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOFSrdJkgZmfxmm4xjxATGiiZxCzsArtoJbzFmr

I am hoping to pick up a 07 taco today and really want to get back out on the trail with the good folks here at OSJ! Since my last visit as a member here I have sold my 03 Rubicon to Cody, sold the parts of my 97 TJ to Cody and Derrick, sold my 12 JKU and more recently traded my 2010 JKR on 35s with a winch for a bone stock Tacoma TRD 16 which drives like a dream compared to my last JKR

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1COC7MR8x_u7rNncMHm7HhfpT–n9osLD/view?usp=share_link
I’m not looking to go crazy in the taco just want to hit some unmaintained roads and some mild trails. I’m happy to watch Ricky do the wild stuff and not be breaking every time I go out on the trail. Plus my wife will kill me if I break all the time. So hopefully I am back and get to spend some time on the trail with you. I’m sure there have been changes since I was a member here last and even though I did not see Eric often he left a hole in my life too as he was an amazing person. :astonished:

A blast from the past! How the hell are ya Jeff? Good to see you back!

Jeff how have you been, it’s been a long time. Hoping to see you out on the trail soon.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

There he is!

I was going to ask if you still had the old Jeepster going…

Hope to see you at GTD in Blackstone this year.

Hi Jeff (Voodoo Chile) good to see you again and wheel with you!

hey guys the Jeepster is still at my house but is sort of lawn art in need of a master cylinder and some carb work a spedo cable etc. Hope to get her on the road this year but most likely will move the Jeepster on to a new forever home.

I just bought a 07 Tacoma with a 4" lift 32s and am waiting patiently for um hmmm someone to send me pricing on skids and lockers to make it a bit more capable. :wink: