My Juggy Build

This is something of a non-traditional build thread in that I’m starting it at the ideation phase long before any real “building” begins. I want to start building a Juggy. This will be a multi-year project. All I have so far is a D60 rear axle housing with a fragmented R&P. Here is the basic plan:

1.) The platform will be a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK. I’m not buying a complete vehicle because all I want is the frame and tub.

2.) Powertrain will be a 5.3 Chevy V8 and 4L60E transmission from 99 to early '00s Silverado. I’ll want all the accessories and matching harness. I’d prefer to find a low mileage unit that is ready to run but will consider rebuilding if necessary. A 231J transfer will be mated to the transmission with the possibility to go with an Atlas down the road.

3.) Running gear will be Dana 60’s front and rear. I already have the rear and would like to find a matching high pinion front. Gearing will be 5.13 with a Detroit in the rear and selectable front.

4.) Link suspension front and rear with details TBD. The target tire size is 37’s.

Please let me know if you run across a good deal on any of the above.

Check your rear 60, make sure it has the big spindles. Mine was the small spindles. You need to be big spindles if you want to run 35 spline shafts.

also i have the set up bearings for the 60’s

do you want a complete frame & tub? how much are you planning on using?

Yes. I would not plan on using much. Engine and suspension mounts would not be used. Body mounts could very well be custom. Depends on if the body matches the frame. All I really care about on the tub is the sheet metal, pedals, and (possibly) steering column. Dash and instrument cluster will be custom. All the heating, etc would be stripped.

Jay has a frame.

Ahhhh it’s slowly starting, hammertime

if you got the money, and a little less time/tools i would look into a tube buggy chassis kinda like the BTF low life or whatever

I want to maintain the “Jeep look”. Maybe even graft a CJ or Commando grille onto the front.

some chassis are actually designed with that in mind. That’s the only reason why I brought it up.

are to full bodied like mine or more buggish?

Look on Craigslist in eastern Ct there is a buggy frame it’s in Columbia Ct

newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/4294880028.html

i like the cammando theme

s406.photobucket.com/user/jeepen … sort=3&o=0

I do, and to my surprise its in really good shape. the only thing I see needing a little attention is driver side frame where the nutserts once existed for oe tcase cross member

make an offer!

Eric, HAVE YOU BEEN READING MY MIND? THAT EXACTLY WHAT i AM DOING NOW. I bought a 91 tub & chassis. got a 2001 5.3 from a suburban coming, using a 14 bolt rear & 60 front. but I am going 40’ tires. figure 2 year build time. reason for using a Yj is so in crappy weather I have a top & heat.

Weak!

The thought occurred to me that since I have the 5.2 Magnum with reman’d transmission sitting in the carcass of my old Grand that I should consider using that instead of the Chevy power. Transmission only has about 40k but the engine is pushing 250k and needs a rebuild.

+1

If you do have the small spindles you could find a scrap 70 and cut off the spindles, no need to bore.

I would sell the rear 60 and get a 14 bolt and be done.

I spent allot of money on upgrading mine to acept 35 spine shafts

As a comparison, I paid $50 for my HD 60, $220 for 1.5 shafts, $20 to bore the spindles, sold the old shafts $50 = $240 and no need to shave.

Have you thought about having rear steer at all Eric?

whatever you need for body panels, and wrangler/cj grilles hoods ect let me know! chopped cj grilles and hoods look awesome on buggys

im partial to liberty grills & hoods myself

here is options/ideas polyperformance.com/shop/Bug … -4714.html

you might also find this helpful…not sure how I even found it

pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/