Lift kit TECH DAY ?

Anyone up for a tech day this weekend ? I have my Claytons long arm kit in and could use a hand and and an audience :slight_smile: I really need the help of a mig welder and someone that knows how to use it, I’ll pay for materials and time if needed. And of course there will be beer :smiley:. My number is 1-401-447-7645
Thanks guys, Rich

where are you located?

Cypress ave in Tiverton,RI same street as Freejeep (Jay)

I have to do some work over at the Go Topless site on Saturday i think but might be able to swing by for a few on Sunday

i should be around too. nancy is working saturday so i am on landon duty. i also have to drop the tcase again to confirm proper assembly. i need to try to do this this weekend so i can drive to gtd

Thanks guys, I’ll try to get my shit together.

This might be too much for a single day. I’d recommend to focus on welding the brackets in place first then returning on another day to install the control arms.

I was hopeing to do exactly that :smiley: The only thing I am sure I can’t do is the welding :blush:

unfortunately i cant weld either, well i never tried but don’t think this is the right occasion to attempt it. i have a buddy who does all my welding but i haven’t been able to get a hold of him to weld my exhaust and i live 10 minutes away from him. I can ask him once i get a hold of hi though if you need it.

That would be awesome if you could ask him as I don’t know anyone who could come do it at my house.

I can’t make it this weekend because on Sunday I will be welding my own Clayton brackets in place. :mrgreen:

Its tricky business welding 1/4" mild steel to 11 ga HSLA. I don’t mind doing my own but doing somebody elses is a different story. A few keys so success:

1.) Thorougly clean the metal to remove any signs of paint, rust etc.
2.) Make sure the brackets fit tight with no visible clearance. Use clamps if necessary
3.) Dial in the voltage and wire speed using some scrap 1/4" and 11 ga
4.) Try to keep the heat biased towards the 1/4"
5.) Don’t let any sparks find their way into your ear!

P.S.
Not sure how it is on the WJ but on the ZJ the driver rear bracket is VERY close the fuel and brake lines. :open_mouth:

Yeah the unibody braces are close like that

In

Its tricky business welding 1/4" mild steel to 11 ga HSLA. I don’t mind doing my own but doing somebody elses is a different story. A few keys so success:

1.) Thorougly clean the metal to remove any signs of paint, rust etc.
2.) Make sure the brackets fit tight with no visible clearance. Use clamps if necessary
3.) Dial in the voltage and wire speed using some scrap 1/4" and 11 ga
4.) Try to keep the heat biased towards the 1/4"
5.) Don’t let any sparks find their way into your ear!

I would like to add:
Disconnect the battery on the jeep before welding
6) use a welding mask and not one of the hand held shields, this way you have two hands to weld with.
7) Don’t let any sparks find their way into your ear! But its fun to get em in your buddies ears.
8) Get yourself in a comfortable position, and take your time.
9) ALWAYS use the welding mask ALWAYS. “Flash” burning your eyes is very painful and you will need a ride to the hospital at 2 or 3 A.M. Just sayin not that i have done it before…twice.
10) Don’t let sparks get in your boots. But its fun to get them in your buddies boots.

Practice, practice, practice, Mig welding is like everything else in life, the more you do it the better you get.

Dude, you need to enter the modern era. All self-respecting welders these days wear auto-darkening helments with racing stripes! :mrgreen:

i just cover my eyes with one hand and weld with the other.

My helmet has flames painted by my Dad!!