JK Front Axle Sleeve & C-gusset Project

After going on the last trail ride and seeing someone with a JK that had a trussed and sleeved front axle I decided it was time to do that too. I needed new ball joints anyhow, so I decided if I’m going to take the axle shafts out to do that I might as well go all in. I completely removed the axle so I could drag it into my basement where I could do the welding on a bench with my TIG welder.
Parts to be installed:
-EVO Mfg. axle sleeves with sealed ends
-Synergy Mfg. C-gusset kit
-Teraflex heavy duty ball joint kit
-EVO Mfg. weld on lower control arm skids
-Poison Spider bomb shell diff. cover

Removing the axle was the easy part in this project . . .
Axle Removed.jpg

Pictures below show the removed Dana 44 axle and all but the diff. cover
Axle 1.jpg
Axle 2.jpg

I decided on the EVO weld in sleeves because I really like how they incorporate outer axle tube seals! I have had to replace inner seals before and this should protect those.
Axle seal.jpg

First thing I did, before any drilling, was to check the clearance of the axle shafts to the sleeve. I put the sleeves loose in the axle tube and reassembled the knuckle, hub, & axle shafts. The only thing with these EVO sleeves is that they stick out further than the OEM tube to allow for a grease fitting. It does make for a very tight fit between the U-joint casting and the outboard end of the axle sleeve.

Next was the point of no return . . . Marked and drilled something like (QTY:18) ½” holes though the axle tube. Then after a lot of grinding and deburring, the sleeves went in and the holes were plug welded. I did my best to keep the axle cool near the differential as not to melt the axle seals or E-locker wiring. To do this I put a shop vac on one side of the axle tube to draw cool air through the inside of the axle.
The point of no return.jpg

(continued in next post)

Next, after a lot of grinding I welded on those the C-gussets. Note that I left the old ball joints in place while doing this to prevent the holes from warping due to the heat.

I also fabricated my own triangle gusset for the passenger side upper control arm mount. I hear those are prone to ripping off and I hope this will solve that problem. Then I welded on the lower control arm skids to complete the welding. Then I pressed those old (now somewhat melted) ball joints out and installed the new Teraflex ones.
axle weld 1.jpg
axle weld 2.jpg
axle weld 3.jpg
axle weld 4.jpg

Finally it was on to giving the entire axle a coat of black paint. With a little more wrenching I reinstalled the axle to the jeep and bolted up that flash new diff cover. Job well done!!
Diff Cover.jpg

Nice work, Ryan!

Nice work

All in!!!

See you soon.