Jeep inspection solutions

So I wanted to make this a bit of a tutorial because I am sure it will be helpful to others.

Getting the Jeep inspected after some wheel and fender mods and now my regular garage is balking at passing the inspection due to clearance.

The rule reads no less than 6 inches of clearance to fender or flap measures at centerline of wheel and circumference of wheel. AND… fender must extend to edge of wheel.

My interpretation of this is I need to put on a set of removable mud flaps and remove my spicer hub extenders to get it to pass.

Would love to hear any other solutions to get past this issue for inspection.

Art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a good set of stock tires on and go back.

That’s the funniest part… my nickname is little wheel Art because I am still running stock tires. ( 31s )

I went back and discussed the rules with the dad/owner of the place and discovered a bunch of stuff.

First… the initial thing they are busting me on is the gap between the wheel and fender. To which I pointed at the owners stock Ram truck in the parking lot having a larger clearance between tire and fender than mine… so that clearly can’t be the measurement.

So after reading it over a couple times, the thing is tire extending out of the fender. So I jokingly asked, what would be the charge to pull the spacers out, inspect the Jeep and then put spacers back in. They actually said… bought 1/2 hour … so about $50.

Other stuff I learned today is the machines for the inspection are now fitted with cameras that take pictures of the vehicle and also biometric finger scanners to validate that only the certified inspector mechanic is doing the inspection and not just any mechanic in the shop. In addition a bunch of garages are losing their inspection certificate.

So I guess it’s time to find my official wheeling tires with the right backspace and keep my 31s without spacers for inspection day.

Any mounted 33-34 floating around ?

Art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This garage is pretty easy going on inspections.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve been saying this since I started modifying my 2012 JK…
(and the club jokers scoffed at me…)

Now that I am on 40’s with a Supercharger and 4" lift and full skid plates, etc…

I don’t even bother trying to “slip” by the inspection…

For me, I put 29" stock tires on which means I have to put stock tie rod on!
(Poor JEEP looks like Urqull with pants pulled up to his knees!)

Then I drop it off and get inspected, no problem.

The days of “I know a guy”… are GONE!..

State of RI WILL revoke their Inspection Station license!