ball joints

PS.

You can use my car if you need. One of the wheel bearings is a little noisy.

borrowing the inlaws car, thanks guys

Gene came by for a little bit and we took some measurements of the inner C’s on my and his Jeep. looks like the worse case scenario is confirmed. bent inner C’s. most likely on both sides. no clue how it happened but top of the knuckle to the bottom of the knuckle is 9 3/8" on the drivers side and 9 1/4" on the passengers side. where his are about 9" even. SUCKS! i’m gonna have to do some research to see if there is and thing i can do. hopefully i can get away with compressing everything and welding on some gussets to keep everything in the right place. if anybody else can take a measurement and let me know what you get i would appreciate it.

I hope you can just bend them back. If worst comes to worst I happen to have a spare Dana 30.

There is no way you can bend back the C’s and get it right.

When could they have bent?

no clue, i haven’t wheeled ALL that much so i’m not sure. i need to do some research and see if fixing it is even remotely possible.

is the first time you did bj’s on this axle? are you sure its a 99?

it looks like if it was a 98 or older, the part number is different.

That is what im thinking.

Do the dana 30 ball joints on the top have to be index for camber? I want to say they do.

On the ford 44 they have adjusting sleeve’s but the 30 i think you have to press in a certain way.

Have you put a angle finder on the hub flange to see what degree its at? (should be at 0)

i bought the axle used so i’m not 100% sure. i’ll try to grab a set of joints from an earlier year and see if those work out

I think the changes in '99 were for D30’s in WJs (its wider and the knuckles are different).

Synergy Suspension lists the same part # for 90-06 Wranglers, 90-01 XJ’s, and 93-98 ZJ’s.

I’ve never indexed ball joints in a D30. Just press them in and go. I’ve always seen that extra space that Derick showed in the picture.

In the picture that appears to show too much camber it also appears that the wheels are slightly turned and camber does change as the wheels turn.

just compare them at a parts store, IF the lowers look shorter, could be the issue?

those are straight on

Looks toed out . . .

they are definitely toed out but that wont fix the camber issue. i’m trying to gather some dimensions from people to compare. if any of you guys could run out and throw a tape measure on your D30 inner C it would help greatly.

inside to inside is 7 3/4"
outside to outside is 9 3/8"

I’ll take a look at mine when i get home.

im getting 9-1/8" and 7-1/2" ish. thats on my old hpd30 with vacuum disconnect on pass side. both sides are identical

I get about 7 1/2 and 9 on mine.

Note that toe and camber are NOT independent quantities. If the toe is not correct then the camber will appear to change.

either way i’m a 1/4" out and basically F’d

Has it been like that for a while? I don’t see how a ball joint job could bend the C’s.

The top part of the C looks totally hosed in this picture: