YJ rear frame section replacment

Started on this job.

DISCLAIMER: IT WAS THE CUSTOMERS DECISION TO SWAP ONLY HALF THE FRAME DUE TO COST AND TIME CONSTRICTIONS. IF THIS WERE MY OWN JEEP I WOULD HAVE JUST SWAPPED THE ENTIRE NEW FRAME IN. I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS MUCH DIFFERENTLY.

Its a 1993 yj. Super clean body and interior. rear section off frame is toast.

First step was to drop out the fuel tank and disconnect the parking brake and fuel lines. Next I removed the rear axle. I had no problem torching the springs as this jeep with be getting a fresh set of springs and shocks after i finish the frame job.

Here you can see the back half of the rotten frame removed. With the body supported on jack stands. Notice the brake lines and fuel lines still running out the back for easy reinstallation. You can see the extent of how bad this frame was rotting. The back drives side frame rail was missing all together. Im surprised the body did not buckle under the weight.

I was able get out all of the body mounts. The ones that did break i was able to heat up and twist out with a pair of vice grips. Having the holes nicley lined up with the new frame section will make this whole process much easier.

Here is the new frame section trimmed to fit and ready to install.

More to come tomorrow

All the body mounts bolted up and the frame welded. I put a piece of channel inside the frame and butt welded it in. The two sections fit together perfectly. You can see in the second picture the welds about halfway through the process (top, sides and bottom were finished welded as well. I started working on the rear suspension (bastard packs) whole thing should be done tomorrow.

Supervisor inspecting the job:

nice job looks good from here

You going to add fish plates after to reinforce the but joint?

I cut two 1/4" plates on angle with the body mount support brackets. within them I cut out three 1" diameter holes along each plate so i had more surface to weld on should be strong enough along with the inside channel. I planned on adding these plates after i figure out what im going to do for the transmission crossmember. This jeep wont see any wheeling.

kinda gonna look like this plus its on both sides.

That should do it. I think the pot holes up here are harder on a jeep then most trails people take them on. :laughing:

Awwwww… I love your supervisor!

Yes Supervisor is such a friendly individual.

i was there last Saturday, saw your helper…boy, is he intimidating looking

nice work!