Hello!

Thought I would drop by and introduce myself. I’m Sean and I have a 85 CJ7. It’s not on the road right now, and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction as to getting it up and running. Thanks for letting me join. Have a good weekend.

welcome Sean, looking forward to seeing some progress on the CJ

Sean, I am a fellow CJ guy myself.

Where do you live?

In the lovely town of West Warwick

Welcome to the forum.

welcome to the forum, what in WW are you near?

If money is no object… I have LOTS of great ideas for a CJ! If it’s budget build… I have those too. I prefer the first rather than the later.

I’m on Phenix Ave.

Welcome to the forum, what do you need for ideas??

Welcome Sean!!

I don’t eally need ideas. What I really need is somone to wrench on it. I don’t have the time or room to work on the CJ. I have a spare frame that I need swapped in, but can’t find anyone to do it. Know anybody?

I don’t mean to sound like a downer, but if you don’t have time or space to work on your CJ, then you may have bought the wrong vehicle. CJ’s are in constant need of repair (due to age). There isn’t a week that goes by where I don’t need to fix, adjust, replace, something on mine. To contract all the work out would cost you a ton. That said, I love my CJ and never considered another model!

Yea, paying somebody to do that kind of work would cost a fortune. There are some old school style speed shops in the area that would probably take on the job though. For example, Andy’s East Coast Speed in Warwick has done some frame-up restorations (mostly muscle cars of course).

Most of us would be willing to lend a hand wrenching if you had someplace where it could sit for weeks/months/years (take your pick - it depends on the budget and what needs to be done) during the build.

A 2nd on the time & MONEY. you wouldn:t even want to know how much $$$ is in my YJ, & thats doing must of the work myself with
help from friends.

I’ll 3rd that and i own a 2006 TJ

I don’t want to a frame up resto. Just want the frame swapped so I can drive it. The original finally gave out in the spring and I haven’t used it since. I a have a ton of $ plus lot’s of bloody knuckles and back pain in mine too, that’s why I want it done so I can use it. I’ve had Jeeps since I’ve started driving 20 years ago (2 Cherokee’s and 4 CJ’s) and I have the knowledge to do the work, but I don’t have big enough yard to do the work.

If that’s all you are doing then the job is feasible over a weekend. Of course you usually end up dicking around sourcing bolts, bushings, hoses, fittings, etc. Give Andy a call and see what he says.

I was thinking more than a weekend :unamused: , but you get the picture.

Toyota mechanics can do a full frame swap in under 12 hours… just sayin.

I think there is a youtube video of some Marines doing the complete dissasembly of a Jeep in mins during a parade… then putting it back together.

Anywho… I’ve had CJ’s apart and back together again. It’s not too bad. Just try to determine what parts you want to replace ahead of time. Any part that comes apart that moves… needs to be replaced. I would say brake boosters/masters, clutch masters, brake lines, wire harnesses should all be replaced. You can save a lot of time sourcing all the parts ahead of time.

I’m not speculating here. I’ve done it more than once; the first time being 30 years ago with my Scout II. Tex is saying the same thing I did. The trick is sourcing all the parts that might be needed ahead of time. Not to mention having the right tools. Give Andy a call.

Keep this in mind. A typical shop rate for labor is $90 an hour. A weekend equivalent worth of labor for one mechanic therefore amounts to almost $1,500. Like I said before, most of us would be willing to lend a hand wrenching if you want to take that route.