Chicken Coop wanted

If any knows or see any really small sheds or something that I can make in to a chicken coop please let me know. Now that I live in Coventry, going to buy the farm LOL. My daughter wants to get chickens. Only 2-3 of them for eggs. I would try a build one but i have a hard time with the desk you buy from Walmart. Thanks everyone

Matt,

Do you plan on building a secure run for the chickens (outside area) or let them have free range when outside of the coop? As for the coop, your best alternative is to build something yourself so you can design it to meet your needs. Yes you can convert an old shed / dog house etc but even then you will still need a roost, a nest box, place for food and water etc… Also, many of the feed stores will offer coops for sale.

When building or buying you will need a min of 4 sqft per bird inside the coop so for 3 birds you will need 12 sqft min). Also consider protection at night from predators with an automatic closing door or at least a door you can go outside and close yourself.

I have had lots of chickens in the past and can answer any questions that may come up. I can also help you set up your coop / run

Glenn I do plan on having a run too. If you check out this site thegardencoop.com/, i got the plans for the garden ark from someone on the forum backyardchickens.com on how to build this. I only plan on having 3 hens rights now. I ordered some silver laced wyandotte. If you want i can email you the plans i got. Like i said, no carpenter skills lol. But from what people said on that forum these plans are for beginners i guess

Nice coop…and the ark is movable which is a nice feature. I have all the woodworking tools and can help you build this. Probably take one long day or two shorter days work so not all that tough. Send me the plans to review when you get time.

It starts with 2 or 3 then u have 16 and they want more. Hehehe if u need help building it let me know I made mine. Not hard at all.

freejeep is a carpenter as well. good luck the the chickens

Not sure how it works in R.I. Matt but in Ma. when I had chickens in my yard I had to get a permit. Might want to check first.

Good point 90YJ…

Here are the laws right from the town of Coventry: ecode360.com/6646306#6646337

§ 97-8. Animals and fowl creating nuisance.
[Amended 12-19-1994 by Ord. No. 2-94-0195; 3-10-2008 by Ord. No. 01-08-267]
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to allow or permit any animal to trespass on private or public property so as to damage or destroy any property or thing of value and such trespass is hereby declared to be a nuisance.

B. The keeping or harboring of any dog or other animal or fowl, whether licensed or not, which habitually howls, yelps, barks or causes noises, which habitual howling, yelping, barking or causing noises is affirmed by persons in the neighborhood as provided in Subsection C of this section, is unlawful and is hereby declared to be a public nuisance. Each day that such condition continues shall constitute a separate offense.

C. Whenever it shall be affirmed in writing by any two persons having separate residence or regularly employed in the neighborhood or if the Animal Control Officer, the police or the Animal Control Officer’s assistants determine, in their judgment, that any animal is a habitual nuisance by reason of trespassing, howling, barking or other noise or by damaging property, the Animal Control Officer, the police and assistants shall have the authority to issue violations and/or impound said animal and/or serve notice upon the owner or custodian that such nuisance must be abated.

Data from BackYardChickens:

Coventry Rhode Island Chicken Ordinance

Are Chickens Allowed in this location: Yes
Max Chickens Allowed No limit given
Roosters Allowed No
Permit Required No
Coop Restrictions No coop restrictions given
City/Organization Contact name Town of Coventry, RI; 401-821-6400
Additional Information Chapter 97.8 states regarding noise nuisance: B. The keeping or harboring of any dog or other animal or fowl, whether licensed or not, which habitually howls, yelps, barks or causes noises, which habitual howling, yelping, barking or causing noises is affirmed by persons in the neighborhood as provided in Subsection C of this section, is unlawful and is hereby declared to be a public nuisance. Each day that such condition continues shall constitute a separate offense. In essence there are no regulations that you cannot keep chickens. They just can’t become a nuisance, which would rule out keeping roosters due to their crowing.
Link for more Information ecode360.com/?custId=CO1733
Information Last Updated 2010-05-01 23:21:34

D. The penalty for violating the provisions of the section shall be that as prescribed under § 4-13-1 of the General Laws of Rhode Island, as from time to time amended.

Matt,

Not sure what your schedule looks like for building this, but i can see if i can lend a hand.
Of course i assume freejeep is handier than me (carpenter vs. novice woodworker), but three sets of hands might make the building go a bit quicker than two.

provide he pizza and beer and i’ll be there