4 CYL LIFTERS

I HAVE A BAD LIFTER IN MY 4CYL 98 WRANGLER. I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD REMOVE THE LIFTERS WITHOUT REMOVING THE HEAD, AND THERE WAS A “SPECIAL” TOOL TO DO THIS. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS? IS THIS TRUE? AND IF SO,WHERE CAN I GET THIS TOOL? THANKS :slight_smile:

ok you do not need to remove the head, You need to remove the valve cover. Are you shure the lifter is bad? its making a clicking noise ? if so try to get some marvins mistery oil to it but if you would like to replace it you need to remove the rockers and using a magnet lift the lifter out making shure not to mix up the push rods. Id also clean the oil passages in the pushrods of carbin and sludge sence thats usuly the cause of a lifter geting flatened. If you havent dont this before it might be wise to have someone do it with you if you need any more help iv done this a once or twice

Thanks! I already tried the mystery oil, unfortunately the lifter is shot. I am sooo glad to hear that the head does not need to come off! I will get the magnetic tool and attempt the fix. If I run into any problems I will let you know! Thanks again for the info and the offer!

Lucas oil is another good product :wink:

if your around warwick near the airport I have a bunch of the mag tools one in witch you may have and charesh lol you can stop by my work and ill run it out to you

If I remember the process is pretty well explained in the Haynes manual. Not a horrible job, just don’t mix them up and you’ll want to make sure you identify which cylinder is the problem.

Your best bet will be to replace all of the lifters while your in there. Sometimes when they are removed, they loose small amount of oil pressure that they have in there. When that happens, it will lock that lifter and rend it useless. Sometime it will free back up, and sometimes nothing will happen when there removed from the engine. It’s a chance you take with an engine that has some miles on it.

Advance auto has stock replacement lifter for around $5 each.

Get yourself a haynes manual and read about the swap in there before attempting it. It’s pretty straight forward as long as you have some wrenching ability.

Thanks again…the manual is a definate on my list. We had discussed changing them all and I think that is what we are going to do. Hopefully it is goes smoothly! I hate having one of my babies out of commission lol! Will keep ya posted!

I just wanted to thank sfrench for helping me to revive my precious first (wrangler). With the "mag"nificent tool he gave me, I did NOT have to remove the head to change my lifters…and yes, I did it MYSELF :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (Only needed help with the lifter closest to the windshield…My vocabulary started becoming quite “colorful” with that one lol, so Bob got it out for me). Thanks again Shawn!

nice, glad you got it fixed. so you ended up changing all of them? its amazing how the right tool for the job can make things so much easier.

No…actually only needed to change one…the spring was all flattened out and even though I re-stretched it back into place, I changed it out anyway. Soo…total, I ended up replacing 2 cause’ one of the clip things on top of the valve popped into nowhere when I was cleaning them lol. But you are right what a difference the correct tool makes. Done and said in a few hrs! :slight_smile: I am soo proud of me! :wink:

I’m proud of you too… your’re my hero! :laughing: I"d be afraid I would break it even more!

I was nervous, but I figure they didn’t call it “monkey” wrenching for nothing…lol!

sweet nice work!!!

there were prety easy to tear down right? and as long as you reprime then during reassembly they work perfect

:laughing: WTG jeep-chic